The Player is the main protagonist of Facade. In the game, the player talks to Trip and Grace by typing sentences to them, and can pick up objects. Even before the game begins, the player has the ability to choose what their name will be. While the list of names is limited, the developer added some humorous names, like Gonzalo and Kha. Upon starting the game, the player is greeted to 2 options, to knock on the front door of Trip and Grace's apartment, or to press the elevator button, ending the game.
Arguably, the most amusing ending of the game is the player being thrown out of the apartment by Trip; the amusement often occurring when Trip and Grace react to the player's inputs with shocked faces. The player has three strikes or one; three being after Grace and Trip greet the player politely, and with one either being inside the apartment while Trip and Grace are arguing, when Trip greets you, or while Trip and Grace are still greeting the player.
The Player's primary directive in Facade is to determine the course of events through the engine's interactive input. Consequently, they can either reconcile Trip and Grace's failing marriage through extrapolation of their secrets, causing them to admit their past wrongdoings, or if the player so chooses, they may drive the tenuous couple apart or even get themselves kicked out for breaches of conduct, specifically vulgarity or adulterous tendencies toward one of the two.
As Facade is played entirely in the first-person perspective, presumably for immersion purposes as the player is technically both an audience member and actor, their model can never be seen, if there even is one. The player is implied to be the same age as Grace and Trip which would make them approximately 30 years old.
Due to the endless possibilities of how each interaction could go, the player can be anything from a marriage mediator to a hostile force with the sole aim of causing more chaos.
- Almost nothing is known about the player other then that he/she went to college with Grace.
- Attempting to flirt with Grace will cause Trip to eject the player from the apartment.
- Typing with the caps lock essentially means the player is yelling at them, however neither Trip or Grace seem to care at all.
- Humorously if the player types in a language other than english he/she will be thrown out by Trip.
- It is possible to run away from Trip while he chases you in order to kick you out by first executing the wall glitch, in which the player phases through a part of the wall that is next to the door, then saying something offensive, and finally using the CTRL key to gain a speed boost. Because Trip does not speed up in the game, you get an advantage.